Home / Node / Torpo Stave Church

Torpo Stave Church

Share

Torpo Stave Church, erected in the 12th Century, is the only one of its kind in Hallingdal preserved at its original location. Only the aisle is left of the old church. In the old church there was a gallery with a canopy arching over. The canopy is richly decorated with three motives; The Day of Judgment, The Margaretha Legend and The Crucifixion. The colours are still crisp and clean. A drawing from 1855 tells us that there was a belfry outside the church. The old common room for the churchgoers - Kyrkjestugu - is still accesible to the public. The church is owned by Fortidsminneforeningen.

Map