Home / Node / Øye Stave Church

Øye Stave Church

Share

Øye Stave Church - "Ecclesia de Obdal" - was torn down in 1747 and its existence was forgotten until materials from the demolished church were found piled neatly under the floor of the present church in 1935. The 156 pieces of the puzzle provided enough of a picture to be able to reconstruct the church. It was rebuilt and consecrated for the second time in 1965, approximately 800 years after its first consecration.

Map