Home / Node / Rollag Stave Church

Rollag Stave Church

Share

Rollag Stave Church was most likely built between 1150 and 1200 as a single nave church. It retained its original shape until ca 1660 when it was converted into a cruciform church. The timber walls of the chancel have columns and arches painted in bright colours, and the altarpiece from 1670 is a masterpiece of Baroque art. The blue interior of the Church is decorated with murals and several portraits of priests dating from the 17th to the 19th centuries. The Church is still actively used.

Map